Monday, March 18, 2013

A side of politics - Legalize it


Drugs have long been a challenge for me. I remember when I used to do cocaine, around the time I was deciding to stop, I told myself I shouldn’t do it and I thought of the majority of people in the world and how they live without doing it, that was motivating. It is a part of my history though and something that will not change. To accept me I also must accept that I do drugs. I wonder what it would be like if we accepted that people do drugs? To me the rhetoric against drugs is replete with specious arguments. It has so many crippled with fear that the world does not realize all that it possibly can as many who would and can change it hide in the fear they are doing something wrong and unworthy of much. This world is ruled by fear and that is its most detrimental weapon used in the genocide of many dreams and souls. This can be developed more but I’m running late for work.

I thought this morning of the many people who are my friends and that they accept me even for the parts of me that society says are wrong and for one moment I wished it possible to make them my entire society and forget everyone else. I thought that we are Trinis too and have the right to be who we want to be, we like strippers, we like sex, we like alcohol and weed and even harder drugs than that. We may be small in number but we are citizens.

I can dream to move to another place where attitudes are different and I should if only to reduce the fear in my life but then I wouldn’t be in Trinidad and at least for now this is where I want to be. Have a great day my friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment